Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Idiots and angels

Every now and again, when an idiot like me finds himself bumfuzzled and harried, he often does something stupid. And this world is not generally in the business of rewarding stupid.

I was at a local convenience store on my way home from work yesterday when I got a call to return to the office. Managing phone, car keys, packages and wallet proved too much for me. The lid on the fountain soda I bought came loose and begin to spill as I dropped one of the bags I was carrying. So, to set things right, I put some stuff down on a flat surface in the store parking lot, got myself organized and went back to work to care of business. I drove home and discovered that my wallet was gone.

I hoped that I had left it at the office, but suspected I had left it in the parking lot.
The wallet was not at the office. I drove to the store and looked around the parking lot in the gathering dusk. If you've ever misplaced your wallet, you know that sinking feeling that comes when you imagine replacing all the plastic and stuff that makes up a life. It's that feeling I had as I walked into the store.

My wallet was in the store vault. Somebody found it and turned it in. Intact.
The store manager said that whoever it was hadn't given his name. So I just to want to thank whoever it was for saving me a world of trouble and for letting me remove the giant imaginary "Kick Me" sign from my backside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home