Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Musical guilty pleasures

We all have our pop culture "guilty pleasures.'' You like it beyond all reason and despite the withering remarks made by people you respect. I'm sitting here at work, plugged into my DVD, and listening to the mighty Meat Loaf singing a little ditty called "Bad for Good.''

The gist of the song is that the Lothario-narrator is promising the love of his live that if "you give me a chance, one little chance, and give me all the love that you should -- then instead of being bad for just a little while....I'm gonna make you bad for good.'' What's not to love about that sung in a bombastic power ballad style.

The thing about guilty pleasures is that you don't outgrow them. "Paradise by the Dashboard Light'' was the "Ride of the Valkyries'' of my high school days. You don't leave an artist like Mr. Loaf just because you're not in high school anymore. And you stay with your guilty pleasure, even if the Rolling Stone Record Guide once referred to Meat Loaf as the "Unholy union of Bruce Springsteen and Freddy Mercury.''

I'd like to know if you understand what I'm talking about, and, if you really insist, you can tell me about your guilty pleasure. But I draw the line at "Duran Duran.''

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duran Duran..did you draw your line?

5:06 PM, December 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home