Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Loyalty oaths in the working world

You stick with your friends in this world and you dance with the one who brung you.
Loyalty matters in life.
It was heartening to hear that Greg Schiano is going to stay on as head coach of the Rutgers football team. I have no vested interest in Rutgers football or who leads the student/athletes in their gridiron battles.
But there is something to be said for his decision to forgo a pay raise and warmer, if not greener, pastures at the University of Miami and stay with the Jersey team.
It got me to thinking about what it would take to get me to blow this particular popsicle stand. This is purely a thought experiment, given the sorry state of the newspaper business these days. (You kids today with your Internet and your post-literate mindset) Let's just say the offers haven't been pouring in.
But I've turned down offers before, because the people I work for took a flyer on me, back when I didn't know anything about journalism. That's worth something.
Sometimes cowardice masquerades as loyalty, if you're a chicken when it comes to any sort of change. That's just sad.
Sometimes folks are just too dumb to move on. And that's kind of sad, too.
True loyalty takes a kind of courage and a kind of cunning.
How does loyalty work itself in your job?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

a lot..I started as a volunteer, now work part-time but still do the volunteering any opportunity..partly due to loyalty, but mostly because it satisfies me!

Same way we tend to revisit same stores, etc. because service/products outstanding even if a longer drive there or costs a bit more.

6:24 PM, December 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home