Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Lust in space

"I can hear her heart beat for a thousand miles/
And the heavens open every time she smiles
And when I come to her that's where I belong?
Yet I'm running to her like a rivers song./
She give me love, love, love, love, crazy love."
-- Van Morrison
Van Morrison sings those words like crazy love is a good thing.
And I gotta say, recent events indicate that that's not necessarily true.
Just ask astronaut William Oefelein how he feels about it, now that a little crazy love has come into his life, and into the life of a girlfriend of his.
Lisa Nowak really showed a lot of the can-do spirit that we have come to expect from our astronauts. Adult diapers really help on these long car trips when you're on your way to do Lord knows what to a possible romantic rival.
Talking head-shrinkers on the TV are saying that, given the right circumstances, any of us could go 'round the bend.
I don't know about that. I've never obsessed over a woman. And when it comes to how women have looked upon me, well, what's the opposite of "stalking?''
But, once you've thrown a good part of your life away, what's next?
I think of a line in one of my favorite movies, "Magnolia,'' the line where the hard-luck, sad-sack cop Jim Kurring says, "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."
Sometimes, maybe they need all three.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

astro-nut, Houston, we've got a problem..all of these bad puns come to mind..one comedian said the male astronaut must've had one impressive missile for this woman to go to such measures...she'll be free on bond, and a spokesperson for Depends undergarments before you can say, space cadet..p.s. still don't get the part about wearing diaper to avoid slowing down for bathroom breaks, didn't she need to stop for gas anyway (950 mile trip) one-way...I wonder if her soiled diaper is part of the evidence collected along with the knife, blackjack, mace, duct tape , etc..sorry, I guess I have to say "alleged" astro-nut..

10:51 AM, February 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home