Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, June 08, 2007

What I'd do for my sons

I'd take a bullet. I'd give any one of them a kidney. I'd donate as much of my liver as he needed. Hell, I'd even offer my heart whole if it meant life for one of my boys.
But, my God, there are limits.
My 10-year-old, Sam, wants me to take him this August to the PNC Bank Arts to see song parodist "Weird'' Al Yankovic in concert. The first thought I had was "Is this guy still around? I thought he and Gallagher were off in some lame comics rest home.''
And the second was, "How does Sam even know about Weird Al?''
It's that damned YouTube is what it is, where people will post archaic stuff like this instead of what YouTube is for: videos of penguins slapping each other.
"Daddy, can we go, please?'' is a compelling sentence.
Now, I'm a loving father and a good man, but even I have to draw the line somewhere, don't I?
I thought about suggesting we go to Ozzfest or Marilyn Manson (anybody but Al!) but then I'd have the wife to deal with.
Hey, I thought to myself -- there's an idea! Why not have Sue and Sam go, a little mother-son bonding might be just the ticket.
Sue said that she thought humor about bodily fluids and noises and such was more a father-son thing.
I've been leaning heavily on just telling him that we can't afford it, but it looks like the tickets are priced to move. What should I do?

4 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

As a 39 year old self-confessed Al fan I say you should absolutely, positively go.

Al's shows are much more than bathroom humor. Al's music skewers everything in pop culture from Star Wars to James Blunt.

Al's shows are a multimedia experience - he uses video screens to show scenes from his various appearances on TV in between songs because many times they requires costume changes. Parody of a Nirvana song finds him dressed as Kurt Cobain. He wears the fat suit when he sings "Fat" and he and his entre band dress as Jedi fighters when singing "Yoda". It's really a lot of fun and you will find a lot of parents take their kids to see Al as their first real concert experience. It's wholesome, good fun with just as many pop culture references for the adults as there are for the kids.

Go! Go! I can't say it enough!

--*Rob

1:33 PM, June 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go. You definitely want to foster in him the kind of attitude that pokes fun at modern culture. That way, he'll be less likely to be brainwashed by it.

12:00 AM, June 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird Al Yankovic is not only entertaining, he's intelligent, and that does come across on stage. I've been to one of his concerts. He's absurd, and he does poke fun at rock stars, rap stars, hollywood types and hypocrisy.

Plus he plays a mean accordion. And other instruments.He's outside the box. I thought you were all for that. Take your son to the concert. Well worth it.

Margaret

12:36 PM, June 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just take him, Dad

4:39 PM, June 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home