Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Not exactly a moral dilemma...

Yesterday morning, my son Alex and I were trapped in that particular circle of hell known as Route 287. Construction has rendered a particular stretch of that road nearly impassable given that practically everybody in the state needs to traverse it at the same time I do.
It took so long to get from point A to point B that we needed to get off the road before Point B to make a pit stop at a donut shop. Having relieved ourselves of the burden of a full bladder, we sought sustenence. I ordered a bagel sandwich and a soda. I watched the cashier ring up the order and then saw him hit one more button on the register, the button that registered a 10 percent SENIOR CITIZEN DISCOUNT.
Not a moral dilemma, exactly, but more a matter of hubris. Do I take the discount or do I take umbrage, raise a ruckus and demand that I pay full price because I am most decidedly NOT a senior citizen?
I took the hit on my pride, took the money and hit the road.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ever honest Reverend that you pretend to be.

12:23 PM, September 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think he's ever pretended to be honest. I think he's pretty straightforward.

But this does sound like confession:)

6:47 PM, September 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Don't beat yourself up about it. You are justified by grace . . .

2. . . . unto good works. Next time, put the amount of the discount (round it up) into the tips jar, or maybe the collection plate.

8:33 AM, September 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, like that'll ever happen. Get real, other anonymous

12:46 PM, September 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's my tip, oh doubting anonymous:

If you accept the justification by grace, through faith, good works will grow as fruit from a healthy tree.

OK, so it's not original. Bet ya Rev. Riley knows who said it first!

4:23 PM, September 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless the fruit is half-eaten (Adam) or rotten.

10:27 PM, September 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think of the 10 percent discount as a faith-based incentive to use their bathroom again.

Hopefully there won't be any family-values Republican senators in there...

1:03 AM, September 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With wide stances.

1:27 PM, September 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home