Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Out Of Luck with the Lottery

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade here, but I've been reliably informed that I'm going to win the big MegaMillions jackpot tonight.
It's true. When I got the tickets at a local convenience store, I asked the guy behind the counter to give me winning numbers.
"Sure, boss,'' he said to me.
So there it is. Hooray for me.
I don't usually play the lottery. I believe, as others have said, that the lottery is basically a "tax on stupid people,'' that is, people who don't understand math.
The only reason I play at all is because of something I read years ago. Some Princeton mathematician had said it only makes mathematical sense to play the lottery when the prize gets over $100 milllion.
I don't remember his reasons for this and I think the upshot was that it was just a matter of throwing your money away a little more prudently.
By the way, when I win the big bucks, I haven't decided whether to quit my job or not.
I've always wondered how much filthy lucre it would take to live a life of leisure. How much would you need to bail out of your job?
It is true that I have a list of people who, in the event of my winning the big one, I would drop a million dollars on.
You're not on the list.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always felt that if I won a large amount, certainly $100 million qualifies, that managing that money would become my job... unless I left that entirely to some "expert" which could turn out to be as foolish as entering the lottery in the first place. I dream of establishing a foundation and bestowing the money on my favorite charitable causes. So far, my good intentions haven't garnered any points with the "lottery gods."

12:27 PM, February 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Princeton mathematician was right because after federal and state taxes you end up with a dollar more than what you bought your dollar ticket for.

3:47 PM, February 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home