Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Doody duty

When you've been in the parenting game as long as I have - the oldest of my four sons just turned 24 - you get a certain reputation as something of an expert in the field. People know that you've been around the playpen a few times, and might be able to help.

Of course, not everybody knows that, so there are times when I happen to hear new parents wrestling with a particularly knotty child-rearing issue that I offer my advice, even when I haven't been asked. That's what we experts do. We're givers.

The proiblem of potty training is one we solved pretty early, ever since my wife, Sue, got her hands on a book called something like "Potty Training In Less Than A Day.'' I always recommend the book and the system without actually having read it. That was Sue's job. My job was to get any other kids out of the house so Sue could work whatever behavioral magic the program entailed.
It apparently involves M&M's. And Sue assures me it does not entail hooking up electrodes to the child's behind. So, it's got that going for it.

All I know is, the thing works. And the proof is in the pudding, or rather in the dry, empty diaper. Nothing is foolproof, of course, and even this system takes a day or two to fully kick in, as it were. I'm wondering if anybody else has found this book effective. Just so I can add some anecdotal evidence to my expertise.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, is that what the book was for, I always showed my kids how to properly clean themselves with the pages! I always thought that was why my Dad always took reading materials into the bathroom!

11:50 PM, May 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

at least dg helped to teach his sons how to go to the bathroom, mr riley

2:55 PM, May 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, dg, i know realsise you're a woman, in that case im critisizing mr. riley and your husband for their inadequate help in toilet training their sons.

3:52 PM, May 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home