Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, April 13, 2006

The words

You can't really argue with the Writers Guild of America's list of the 101 Greatest Screenplays (found at http://www.wgaeast.org/greatest_screenplays/2006/04/03/list/index.html .) I believe a screenplay has achieved greatness if more than a few lines from it wind up as a shortcut in family conversations.

This list is full of those kinds of lines, from ''I'm shocked, shocked that there's gambling....'' in "Casablanca'' to "Use enough dynamite there, Butch?'' when the train blows up in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.''

I think words matter in movies and music and it drives me crazy when my kids like a song but can't tell me the lyrics because they never paid attention to them. "What are they there for?'' I yell at them, and they shrug.

With screenplays, one or two good lines don't make a screenplay great, which is why, I suppose, "Animal House'' and "Caddyshack'' didn't make the list.

What's also interesting about the Writers Guild list is how many of these greatest screenplays had parts in them played by Paul Newman when they hit the screen.

But I'm really wondering if the folks who made up this list missed any? Let us know what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home