Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Good times

I like to think of myself as the kind of guy who brings a party with him wherever he goes. I don't need people around me to have a good time. That said, it's true that good times are multiplied manyfold when shared with someone you love.

I'm fortunate in that I'm well-loved by many, or at least the many who live under my roof. It was with this surfeit of blessing that I faced a fine dilemma this past week. I had two tickets to Bruce Springsteen's Sunday evening PNC Bank Arts Center appearance. Two tickets and five family members, four of whom were going to be tossed over the side of the SS Good Times.

Josh was away for the weekend, Sam's really too young to fully appreciate the whole deal, and Alex has seen Bruce once before. And then there were two: my wife and my second oldest son, Christopher. Now Christopher had, in the recent past, actually procured Springsteen tickets and then couldn't come home from college to use them. He likes Springsteen and has wanted to see him perform for a long time.

Sue, on the other hand, is my wife -- which in many cases would seal the deal right there.
So I was torn, twisted in ways that King Solomon could only have guessed at. But Susan, in a move that would have made St. Francis let out a low whistle, and mutter, "Man, she's good!'' removed herself from the equation.

"Take Christopher,'' she said. "I've seen him many times and he never has.''
" No, mom,'' he said, "You should go. I'll stay.''
They went on like this for a few minutes. It was enough to make you sick. At least those of you, who, like me, are not overburdened with solicitousness.

I took Christopher, who was unjaded and unprepared for the extravaganza. The look of sheer joy on his face at times during the concert is something I'll never forget.
"I can't get my head around how good this was,'' he said at the night's end.
And because Christopher was there, I never had a better time at a Bruce Springsteen concert.
For my review of Sunday's show, go to: http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060627/ENT04/606270331/1043
For a a broader discussion of my take on the themes of the current tour, go to: http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20060430&Category=ENT04&ArtNo=604300399&SectionCat=&Template=printart

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My experience with a Sprinsteeen came at a time in my lufe when things were turned upside down.

My, at the time fiance, was having emotional difficulties and was threatening to commit suicide and take me with him.

Life was tense, to say the least. Even at work everyone was walking on eggshells.

The phone in my office rang and it was my sister.

She had Springsteen tickets with my brother and his future wife.

"I'd like you to use my ticket", she said. "Life has been very cruel to you lately and I'd like to see you just relax and haave a good time."

My sister had waited years to see Bruce, but sent me away on one of the best vacations of my life, even if it was just a few hours.

My family always pulls together in a crisis and shows their love in many ways.

Your column today reminded me of this event and how much it mean't to me.

I' going to call my sister and thank her again for her act of love and kindness.

Thanks again,

Cathy Aumack, Keyport
www,cathypa@nep.com....currently vacationing at my PA home.

8:34 AM, July 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey cathy, not too smart to post your personal info/name if someone unstable from your past still around..unless he did you a favor and did make good to get rid of himself!

9:32 AM, July 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home