Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, June 09, 2006

Does anybody really know what time it is?

I don't know about you, but every time I hear the phrase "time management,'' a chill runs up my spine. Not that I'm defensive or anything, but time management articles and training sessions make me feel like a manic chimp, a creature easily distracted by shiny objects.
Time management tricks and tips seem to raise serious questions about how I ever get anything done in this world. (I really should block out a 15-minute time period to ponder that, but it might take me a couple of hours to dig out my "Day-At-A-Glance'' calendar. )
Time management gurus insist they are looking out for our best interests.
"Work smarter, not harder,'' is their mantra.
A colleague put it in some kind of perspective for me.
Harder or smarter doesn't really matter, he said.
"What they want is more,'' he said. "They want you to work more.''
I've got no problem with that, as long as they realize that staring at a computer screen for 45 minutes trying to come up with a crackerjack metaphor is hard work.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you ever written a "to-do-list" in hopes of managing your time better, but lost the list? now at the top of my list is :"do not lose list"...

6:04 PM, June 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home