Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Scrunch over!

Word is that sometime next week, the population of America will reach 300 million. Sure, that seems like a lot of people, but maybe the kid will be born in Montana where it really won't matter much.
Does America seem crowded to you?
Heck, New Jersey doesn't seem all that crowded to me and it is the most densely populated state in the Union. I mean it doesn't seem all that crowded in the Soylent Green, Black Hole of Calcutta sense.
You drive some parts of the Parkway south of exit 63 late at night in the fall or winter and you can feel mighty alone there in the Pine Barrens, just you and the dark. And you swear you can hear that "Deliverance'' banjo music coming from the woods.
When my two oldest kids are home from college, there are seven of us in a three-bedroom apartment. And if you know my two oldest kids, you know we're talking about a particularly "dense'' population. (Rimshot!)
I guess New Jersey doesn't seem all that crowded to me because I've spent all my life here, except for five years just outside of Boston.
If you want wide open spaces, move to North Dakota.
Give me bright lights, huddled masses, noise and the whole world within a 20-minute car ride any day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just documented population..with all illegals..probably is closer to 350 million! What's 50 mill between friends?

4:56 PM, October 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home