Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Giggles, snorts...and the sound of crickets chirping

Believe it or not, I'm not a big fan of jokes. What is more often likely to make me laugh is the quick-witted response to a situation, the Dorothy-Parker-Alexander-Wolcott-Algonquin-Round-Table stuff. Luckily, a newsroom is full of those kinds of people.

And truthfully, is there anything worse than a minister telling jokes from the pulpit to show that he or she is "just folks?''

Having said all that, jokes have their place, and I know how to tell them. I've been telling a joke for the last couple of days. Less than half the people I tell it to get it: they stare at me like cows at a passing train. But I'm sure that you folks are astute enough to get it. Let's do a little experiment: I'll write the joke. You go and tell it, and get back to me how others reacted.
Here it is.

"Knock-knock.''

"Who's there?''

"Control freak. Now you say 'Control freak who?' "

Now if you don't get the joke, there's no sense in going around repeating it. But if you do get it and can sell it in the telling, let me know how it went.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it and neither does my husband. Does that make us a couple of cows, or a cow and a bull?

10:01 AM, December 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trouble is, Michael,that in my mind there is nothing remotely funny about control freaks. They are the people who bomb clinics,shoot people, throw paint on peoples coats and put other's safety at risk with violence during demonstrations all in the name of imposing their will on others.

11:00 AM, December 20, 2006  
Blogger Michael Riley said...

OK. He we go: only a control freak would tell someone how to finish a knock-knock joke. It's self-referential humor. Kinda dadaesque.
I'm not even going to hazard a guess as to the bovine anatomy of the bettlewd family, and anonymous, if you can't make fun of control freaks who can you make fun. The biggest weapon any of us has against the devil is to ridicule him.

11:08 AM, December 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an "it-getter" and that joke is hilarious, although you're right, it's all in the telling of it. Some have the knack and some don't.

11:17 AM, December 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got it right away even though I am not a control freak..I just have a quick wit and "got it" and as far as anonymous goes, sorry to burst your delusional bubble pal, but you def. are a control freak because you try to take a fun-spirited, harmless blog site and twist it to pass along your distorted political/personal agenda all year..talk about "imposing their will on others"..knock, knock...who's there? control freak..control freak who? you, anonymous!

12:58 PM, December 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Margaret, I am referring to the "mean, weird", narrow-minded anonymous and he knows who he is (we all do)...looking forward to your comments,as always..

11:55 AM, December 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home