Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Three weeks to straight sex

The Rev. Ted Haggard, we have been informed, is "completely heterosexual'' after only three weeks of counseling. That must surely come as something of a relief to Mrs. Haggard. But I imagine that gay men everywhere must be wailing and gnashing their teeth that such a fine piece of beefcake is off the market.

Here's what Haggard said, somewhat cryptically, back when his tryst with a male prostitute first came out: "The fact is I am guilty of sexual immorality. And I take responsibility for the entire problem. I am a deceiver and a liar. There's a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I have been warring against it for all of my adult life.'' And now, after three weeks, he's "cured?'' I've had pimples that took longer than three weeks to get rid of.

The problem here, in part, it seems to me, is that a man can consider his sexual attraction to other men as something "repulsive.'' And let's face it: if you've been fighting a lonely battle your whole life, three weeks doesn't seem like enough time to arrange and sign a peace treaty.
What needs healing these days, and not just in Haggard's heart, is this idea that homosexuality is a dark and repulsive thing, a tool of the devil to lead the Children of Light into perdition. It just ain't necessarily so.

Heterosexual lust is as sinful as homoseuxual lust - and an encounter with a prostitute - male, female or both at once - is certainly a lusty event. But same-sex love can be as numinous and grace-filled as heterosexual union. Maybe when Haggard goes back to school to get his master's in psychology, he will tumble on to that. I'm not holding my breath. But I am praying.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homosexual sex is always sinful. You ought to be ashamed of yourself for suggesting otherwise.

6:01 AM, February 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say to each his own. I've seen the adoration and respect in the eyes of a longterm monogamous gay partner that are not often seen between many straight married couples. I must say, as the straight parent of small children at the time, I was a bit envious.

7:55 AM, February 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calling a sexual relationship between two people of the same sex "grace filled" makes me wonder if you know what you're talking about.

9:01 AM, February 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing repulsive is having any kind of sex for money with any kind of prostitute of any sex and the ignorant, narrow-minded comments of some of these bloggers..and the fact that Mrs. Haggard has stayed with him...hey, divorce is not a sin either!

11:45 AM, February 09, 2007  
Blogger Rick said...

being in the art world, I know and am around many gay singles and couples and I have yet to see a loving, respectful, truly adoring and lasting relationship in the gay world. What I see mostly is anger and instability. Unlike many truly beautiful heterosexual relationships that I have seen throughout my life that are God-centered and lasting. So I disagree with your statement about a "grace-filled" gay relationship. It isn't mentioned alot, but the Bible does speak out against homosexuality.

11:14 PM, February 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Riley ignores the Bible, Rick, when it serves his purpose. He worships at the altar of political correctness, after all. To him, Jesus is some laid back stoner type that doesn't like to judge too harshly.

3:54 PM, February 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey anonymous, i think it's impolite to talk about Mike in the third person when he's right here in the blog room :) Anyway, I like your column/blog Mike... i don't always agree with you, but you make me think and search the Bible to find out why I believe what I believe... and I appreciate that. As brothers in Christ we can agree to disagree on this issue. Even tho the Bible is with me on this one (oops... sorry, that one slipped out!) ;)

12:12 AM, February 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home