Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

With a song in my heart...

There is, quite literally this afternoon, a song in my heart. This morning I had a visit with my electrocardiologist to get a checkup for the device they stuck in my chest five years ago when my ticker stopped and I dropped dead. I have a combination defibrillator/pacemaker inside me -- the same make and model, I understand, that VP Dick Cheney has. (And I think "Wow! If this gizmo works on a guy without a heart, it's going to work like gangbusters on me!'')

But I don't like to visit the electrocardiologist's office. The technicians there can push a button on a console and make my heart beat really fast. This is not only uncomfortable and disconcerting, but it raises existential questions about which comes first -- the physiological reaction or the emotion that accompanies it. I don't go to a doctor to get a dose of angst.

This morning, though, after the technician played patty-cake with my heart, she pushed another button, and a few musical notes could be heard coming out of my chest.
"Sometime in the next 12 months, at 7:30 in the morning, you'll hear that inside you," she said. "It's not your smoke alarm. It's your device telling you to get your batteries changed.''
So I guess there's something to be said for music and the savage breast, after all.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like downloading Itunes to your Ipod..what tune would you choose? anything, as long as it's not Taps..

5:36 PM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just hope you remember not to hit the snooze button on that thing when the music starts.

11:32 PM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you have to pay royalties whenever that tune is played?

11:59 AM, May 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hopefully the tech didn't leave it on mute...

6:26 PM, June 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home