Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

This is about gender, not sex!

Two recent studies have caused a stir in the Riley household.
The July 6 issue of the journal Science reports that women do not chatter more than men. In fact, the research showed that both men and women speak 16,000 words a day.
"That seems strange,'' Sue said to me when I told her about the study. "You generally use 16,000 words before breakfast. In fact, you never really shut up. But I suppose if they averaged you in with women who are mutes, and those in religious orders with a vow of silence, it would work out.''
The study did not discuss how many of those 16,000 women's words are dripping with sarcasm, but I'm betting it's around 15,487.
Even more recently, science has come to the conclusion that women prefer men with muscles. This would indeed be bad news if I wasn't married to a woman who finds big muscles on men, in her words, "somewhat icky.''
Sue prefers the balding, loquacious type.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never met her, but I do like your wife! :)

The bodybuilding muscle bound physique does nothing for me either.
M

12:10 PM, July 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does Sue, like yourself, support legalized prostitution as well?

1:36 PM, July 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh grow up anonymous (not you Margaret, but the other annoying one)..you must be one of those men who speaks through his a@#..was that part of that statistic Mr. Riley cited?

4:07 PM, July 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew which one you meant, dg. I was going to comment in a similar manner but figured it was not worth the energy expended.

Margaret

5:43 PM, July 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to respond to mean spirited junk, but I couldn't resist letting anonymous know that Mike & I have a lot of things we don't agree on, but we don't get nasty about it. You need to find a hobby!

5:44 PM, July 14, 2007  
Blogger su2 said...

Mike,
I love your writing - have been laughing out loud and crying while reading your observations for years. I hope you and Sue are together for always - she must be a saint. Make sure you tell her that I think so. It's refreshing that you recognize some of your human frailties. Write on!

9:50 PM, July 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home