Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, August 03, 2007

Trucked up?

I'm booming down Route 287 this morning and find myself behind a dump truck with a blue tarp flapping on top of its load. On the back of the truck, I see this warning: KEEP BACK 100 FT.
OK, a little presumptuous, maybe, a certain Diana Ross diva-ness creeping into the trucking industry, I figure, but hey, there's an unnecessary warning if ever there was one. This is New Jersey and God only knows what's in any given dump truck. It could be anything: hand-painted Chinese dog food, odd body parts, chemicals so hazardous that even the CIA blanches at their possible military-weapons use. Give a dump truck a wide berth, that's my motto.
But below the old 100 FT message was this: NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR FLYING DEBRIS.
That must be nice, I thought. Absolved of all responsibilty just like that. Even Christianity doesn't offer that sweet a deal.
But it begs the question: Who is responsible for flying debris from that particular truck?
This is America today, all passive voice --"Mistakes were made'' -- so responsible parties vanish with a trick of light and grammar like ghosts and ruin left in the wake without accountability.
Well, I've got to run this by the boys in legal, but I want to make clear: I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS IN MY LIFE. OR YOURS.
Man, does that feel good.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true. Once, my brother in law was behind one of those dump trucks, and a stone flew out from under the flapping tarp and broke his windshield. He followed the guy, and was told that he could not prove that the rock came from the truck, and therefore, my brother in law paid out of pocket. I believe he did call the insurance company and was told the same thing.

MArgaret

2:36 PM, August 03, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truck You!

6:20 PM, August 06, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home