Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

No time to lose

According to the journal American Demographics, the average American spends four minutes a day looking for lost things. I wonder if that includes my children, who, in their halcyon days, would have screwed up the average.

How many times do you have to misplace a pair of shoes or a homework assignment 20 minutes before you have to leave for school? And it was never just the kid who lost the time. His mother and I would be rooting around for the stray sneaker and pulling our hair out as well.
By the time we all stumbled out the door, I had a lost a few other things: my temper and my marbles, to name two.

These days, I'm most likely to misplace my company ID and my keys. My wife lectures me while I'm searching. "Head-hand,'' she'll tell me, by way of saying I should think before I set something down. Which usually makes me lose my patience.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Riley,
What do you mean by their 'halcyon days'? You do realise that 'halcyon' means untroubled, calm, right?

6:55 PM, March 15, 2006  
Blogger Michael Riley said...

Halcyon also means prosperous, and for me, by etension, a golden time.

10:26 AM, March 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home