Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Shooting the bull

Let me say that I'm not in favor of strict gun control. The Second Amendment is right there in the Constitution, and I'm even willing to squint so that the whole "well-regulated militia'' clause gets ignored.
Americans like shooting the bejabbers out of stuff and who am I to argue? But I think if there were a case to be made for gun control, you'd have to look no further than the touchiness of some gun enthusiasts.
I wrote a column last week detailing my own hapless family's bad luck with guns. Nowhere did I say that guns ought to be confiscated by jack-booted flunkies of the federal government. I just wrote that guns weren't my thing, and the country might be better off if more of us exercised our First Amendment rather than our Second Amendment rights.
Man oh man. The e-mails came hot and heavy. There were a few nice responses, including one that suggested I give a shooting range a try so I could experience the unique joy that comes from spraying lead.
But mostly, my manhood, patriotism and faith were attacked. Jesus was apparently some namby-pamby sissy boy since the Gospels never relate any stories of him dove hunting, and all that "turn the other cheek'' nonsense is just useless when push comes to shove.
There seems to be a sense that the world I live in is just a step away from being overrun by armed intruders, and, unless I'm packing, my family and I can kiss our butts goodbye.
The freedom you have to own guns is the same freedom I have to keep them out of my house. What's wrong with that? To read the column that started the fuss, click here: http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060224/LIFE/602240329/1054

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just wondering, do you answer the negative emails sent to you, and if not, what is the point of including your email?

2:50 PM, March 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have the absolute right not to own any guns,just make sure those landmines on your front lawn are deactivated.

8:48 PM, March 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home