Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Manolo what?

The whole thing might as well have been in Esperanto, for all I understood of it.
But that's the thing about being a journalist. We're often called to go to strange places and make sense of it for readers.

Which is how I came to be at the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank Tuesday night.
Candace Bushnell, creator of "Sex and the City,'' gave something resembling a speech. I, apparently the brunt of some editor's idea of a joke, was sent to cover it.

My confusion began the minute she took the stage and asked the audience to admire her shoes which called...well, it sounded to me like "Manhole Blanks'' or "Mellow Bricks'' or something.
Turns out they are really expensive Italian footwear and the brand is called Manolo Blahnik. Which are really quite the thing for fans of "Sex and the City.''

I asked my wife about them later, and she hadn't heard of them either. "If you can't get them at Payless, I don't know about them,'' she said.

And that was only the first of the things I didn't understand while I sat in the estrogen-drenched audience. For more impressions of my evening with the "Sex and the City'' impresario, click here: http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060308/NEWS/603080344

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sergeant-at-arms- harsh. Nice. And Mr. Riley, your entire blog is negative and critical. You didn’t experience one good thing this week?

6:15 PM, March 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I attended the lecture and admit the speaker was not my style. She did, however, make a few good points.
Why did you refer to the audience as "the mostly matronly audience"? I don't think that was the case. What is true, but the APP readers don't read, is that the article was written by a middle aged, graying, bi-focaled old man!

6:56 AM, March 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home