Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy reflections

Scientists announced recently announced that a 34-year-old elephant named Happy looked in a mirror and tried to get the schmutz off her face. This suggests that elephants may be self-aware like people.

And here I used to like elephants. Now I find they are as vain as fashion models and, well, me. Self-recognition, scientists say, may lead to altruistic behavior and empathy.
Does the sound right to you?

Last week, I developed a big honking zit on my left cheek. I'm 48 years old and this is not standing operating procedure for my middle-aged body. I've spent a lot of time in front of the mirror looking at the thing, wondering if I'll ever get asked to the prom.

The more time I've spent in front of my mirror these days, the less altruistic and empathic I've felt. The more you watch yourself, the less time you have to care about anybody else.
If Job had had a mirror, he might have followed his wife's advice and then where would we be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home