Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, October 26, 2006

The trouble with similes is like....

I have a good heart and the purest of motives, neither of which is very much appreciated by certain newsroom colleagues of mine. I appreciate the bonhomie of the newsroom and seek to contribute to it, even if I have to eavesdrop and interrupt to do so.
So it was that I happened to overhear someone compliment a fellow reporter on her stylish jacket.
"Yes'' I said. "It looks like a potholder.''
This was met with silence of death, and taken as an insult. The potholder-wearing woman would not speak to me for hours, even when I explained that my comment was not a criticism but an observation.
"Actually,'' I said, "your jacket reminds me of a very fancy potholder, the kind that never gets used to handle hot stuff, but remains hanging in the kitchen forever.''
This did not help matters......

4 Comments:

Blogger LB gal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:09 PM, October 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that we all have come out with a "duh" remark at one time at another. This one of your's sounds sexist but you seem too nice to be that.

12:14 PM, October 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, you watched Star Trek with your friends while everyone else went to the prom, huh?

12:18 PM, October 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

next time you go to work, bring her in a potholder (sex it up with frilly lace and embellishments) and tell her, this is the potholder you had in mind! hopefully she won't swat you over the head with a potaccusing you of sexual harassment!

6:53 PM, October 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home