Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, February 09, 2007

Wasted civility

A study conducted by researchers from the University of Virginia and several other universities has come to the conclusion that moms and dads can squabble constantly, and it won't make their kids ornery.

Man, I could have used that information. Sue and I could have been going at it like George and Martha in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?'' for decades and our kids would have still turned out fine. But no, my wife and I have prized civility, respect and dignity, even (and maybe especially) when we have disagreed with one another. What a couple of saps we are!

Here I thought that children learned how to live and move in the world by watching their parents. Turns out that there is apparently a gene for "general pissiness'' that gets passed from cantankerous parents to bratty kids. I haven't been tested or anything, but I have been reliably informed that I have that gene in spades. Yet biology isn't destiny, and I firmly believe that nurture gets the nod in this discussion.

Kids imitate what they see in their own home, and if mom and dad can't get through a week without some steel-cage death match oratory, they're going to figure this is what love looks like, this is the way grown-ups solve problems, genes or no genes.

For a look at the story, go to: http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770208032

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's to civil disobedience...

6:52 PM, February 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home