Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Just when you think you know a woman...

The other night I was looking through one of those kinds of books that is chock full of questions like, "If you had to lose one of your five senses, which would you choose?'' and "If you could have dinner with anyone in history, who would it be?''
I turned to Susan and read this question: "If you had to spend the rest of your life in a cell, with one other person, who would that person be?''
Without missing a beat or looking up from her book, she said, "Kathy,'' a friend of ours.
I cleared my throat loudly.
"Don't you mean me?'' I asked.
"In a cell? For the rest of my life? I don't think so,'' she said.
"Why not?'' I asked.
"Well, for one thing I wouldn't look forward to you asking me all these kinds of questions when I can't get away,'' she said.
I told her that I didn't think she'd thought this through. What if there were no conjugal visits?
She just shrugged.
I'll tell you one thing. If Sue ever gets sent up the river, I'm not putting a file in her birthday cake.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd choose an escape artist -after teaching me first of course!

5:31 PM, March 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Riley, I'd think your nightmare cellmate would be your "Anonymous" blogger (the fanatical one) and his Bible...(his is the one with lots of highlights and notes in the margins and for some reason a very abridged version)- his version, that is...

5:34 PM, March 29, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about Mr. Riley, wacko anonymous and that chocolate Jesus?
Sweet Jesus indeed!

9:24 PM, March 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or,Marge is eating the third leg!

4:53 PM, April 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home