Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Drugs saved my marriage...

Wednesday, May 23, was my 26th wedding anniversary. It completely slipped my mind, what with work and the 50,000-mile checkup of my internal defibrillator yesterday. Forgetting anniversaries is generally frowned upon, I know. But I escaped unscathed, praise Jesus. Turns out that my wife, Sue, forgot as well.

She might well have the better excuse: she sprained her back big time on Saturday and has been belly up for days, and on muscle relaxants and pain killers of the sort that would have knocked Elvis on his kiester right in the middle of a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich.

That's the great thing about having been together for as long as we have: there's a little mercy that gets thrown in with all the passion, a sense that love can't be measured with a calendar, and that there will be time to celebrate soon. Even so, I can't depend on heavy-duty analgesics forever. You can bet that I will remember next year!

4 Comments:

Blogger margaret said...

It's nice to be married for as long as you have been. You go with the flow, and while the date of the anniversary is important, it's good that neither of you got all bent out of shape about forgetting. Obviously, there was a good reason! Life sometimes steps in.

That just shows a quality marriage, I think. Happy Anniversary. Hope your wife feels better soon.

5:17 PM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you two sound like Anna Nicole and Howard K...except you are both alive and coherent..hopefully you both recover from the meds without any addictions because I hate to see your precious Ben hitting the streets trying to score Oxycontin or Percoset a la the late Daniel Smith..

5:33 PM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant your son Sam..the drum soloist...

5:37 PM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't forget to take that little blue pill..

6:24 PM, June 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home