Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Monday, July 16, 2007

God will, even if nobody else will

Imagine my surprise yesterday when I was channel flipping and came across one of those little bulletins at the bottom of a 24-hour news station that reported Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said American forces can get the hell out of his country "anytime they want.''
Well, that's it then, I said to myself. ''We stand down when they stand up,'' we've been told for years. And now here's the freely elected leader of a liberated nation saying, "You've been swell, but we got it from here. Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.''
An answer to my prayer and to many Americans' prayers, I 'm sure. In fact Maliki brought God into the whole deal. The prime minister was quoted as saying, "We say in full confidence that we are able, God willing, to take the responsibility completely in running the security file if the national forces withdraw at any time they want.''
Good enough for me. I figured we'd be moving out today.
Turns out Maliki now says he was misquoted.
Yeah, and I'm sure that the Bush administration was on the phone with him yesterday:
"You're killing us here with stuff like this, Nouri,'' I'm sure he was told. "Frankly, we don't care about you or your wimpy little government and whatever delusions you have about what it's capable of. We've screwed this whole thing up six ways from Sunday and made your place a manure magnet. We're here for the long haul no matter what you say, no matter what you want, and no matter what God may or may not will.''
So, it looks like September is the next time we might consult God...or at least Gen. Petraeus.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the only misquote was that he meant : "Allah willing"...I say
we leave Godspeed, or should I say Allahspeed..

11:16 PM, July 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no way we're ever going to leave Iraq no matter what the situation there. There's still the issue of the oil and the fact that we're spending about a billion dollars on an embassy there -- not to mention fourteen or so military bases so we can get comfortable for the long haul.

11:37 PM, July 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

let 'em all fight their own holy war to the death..unless they directly attack US soil like in 911, get out..

6:19 PM, July 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home