Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Popular culture in my rear-view mirror

I'm expecting something in the mail, and I said so to a young co-worker.
"I'm as excited as a kid waiting for a package from Battle Creek, Mich.,'' is the way I put it.
A blank stare from the co-worker.
"You don't what I'm talking about, do you?'' I asked.
He shook his head, and I explained about cereal boxtops and how you mailed them off to Battle Creek to get your prize.
I'm just shy of 50 and I figure that if I know what "23 Skidoo'' means, it's not too much to ask that 20-somethings have some knowledge of the way the world worked in 1965.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why? They can just google it.

11:44 AM, October 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That shows you what clueless knuckleheads these kids are when they get out of school.You would think with all the taxes I pay for public schools someone would teach these morons history.Half these kids can't find the US on a world map, don't know who their congressman is,and wouldn't know the bill of rights if someone hit them in the face with it.But they are so "in touch" with their feelings and self-esteem.

3:51 PM, October 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would argue that a good percentage of your generation prob. doesn't know those things either.

5:12 PM, October 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you get your decoder ring in the mail don't be upset when the secret message turns out to be: Don't forget to drink your Ovaltine.

11:02 PM, October 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you interpret what half the kids' text message abbrev. mean or who the latest hip-hop groups are?

11:20 AM, October 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not without that decoder ring!

11:36 PM, October 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It strikes me that a decoder ring might come in handy in deciphering those ubiquitous spam e-mail subject lines, too.

10:53 PM, October 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wtf?

1:05 PM, October 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home