Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Monday, October 22, 2007

Are you goosing the bottom line? Probably not.

A newly released survey of almost 90,000 employees in 19 countries has found that only about one in five of us proletariats are "engaged workers'' -- engaged being defined as willingness to go the extra mile for the boss.
Let's assume for a minute that you're reading this at work. This is not the sort of thing that's going to make you an "engaged employee.''
On the other hand, my writing this puts me firmly in that category. I don't get paid any extra for blogging these musings, but they tell me that this sort of thing is absolutely vital to the future of the company.
Apparently, once the boys down at the lab figure out a cheaper alternative to fish wrap and bird-cage liner than the Asbury Park Press, you're all going to get your news via the Internet, and it'll be up to me to keep you entertained or at least mildly amused.
But I'm more than happy to help out my corporate masters. There's self-interest involved here, of course. Yet, there's more to it than that. I actually like my bosses, (and man, oh man, do I have a lot of them) and want to do well by them. One of the things I like about them is that they'll let me make fun of their less-brilliant notions before I go off to make a silk purse out of their sow's ear of an idea.
The study says that engaged workers actually increase the amount of money a company brings in. Listen, I'm glad to help.
Now, about that raise....
The results of the survey can be found at http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/few-workers-engaged-work-most/story.aspx?guid=%7BF43DB94E-797D-4D26-9593-0B0C65948F76%7D

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow! I was just web-surfing (during my lunch hour, I might add), and saw your name as a blogger at the Asbury Park Press... I remember when you were writing for a paper in Middlesex County (The Courier News, I think) AND you were the pastor at Stelton Baptist Church on Plainfield Ave., Edison. You left the church about the same time that we stopped getting the newspaper... I drove by the church (I live in that neighborhood) just the other day and wondered what ever happened to you!

I always really enjoyed your writing then, and am REALLY glad to have found you again!

2:46 PM, October 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should be paid more, Riley.

He's now dead, but for many years, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder was a color commentator for CBS sports. While growing up, I could never understand why Ole Jimmy was on the air in the first place. A bookie by training, he would come on just before the first kick-off and tell everyone how they should have bet. He sucked. I hated him. My dad hated him. My brothers hated him. My uncles hated him. The neighbors that would come over to watch the NY Giants play hated him. Hell, even the dog growled when he came on the screen. No one liked the SOB, but yet every Sunday there he was on TV telling us that our beloved Giants wouldn't win "even if you take the points." The idiot was, it seemed, wrong more often than he was right.

It wasn't until I was a freshman in college, and while watching a Giants game in a dorm rec room with 30 other guys from across the country, that it dawned on me just how bright the guys at CBS Sports were to have The Greek on their payroll. Everyone, not just the Giants fans, hated Jimmy. To the man, they all loved to recall those times when Jimmy was wrong. No one recalled what Frank Gifford said the previous week, and no one remembered even those few times when The Greek got it right, but damn if everyone didn't have their own "Let me tell you how stupid this Greek is" story.

And that, Riley, pretty much sums up why you deserve a raise. You bring people coming back to the APP web site (And presumably to the web sites of those that advertise here). Much like Jimmy The Greek, you are wrong more often than you are right. But yet your fans (for lack of a better word) tune in often to see you make an a__ out of yourself. Bottom line: The fact that you are an idiot is good for business.

[RIP Jimmy, you lousy SOB.]

3:15 PM, October 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The politicians in New Jersey always go the extra mile to help themselves,and their bosses. Something like I've seen on the Sopranos.

6:21 PM, October 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with bookie's general concept however the big draw doesn't seem to be whether Pastor Riley is right or wrong (it doesn't seem to be his goal anyway). The big draw is the train wreck of discussions that follow his postings. With posters like ray, justified right and the many anonymi, the original topic is soon forgotten and the discussion degenerates into a 4th grade playground fight (my apologies to all 4th graders); and like a bad accident everyone slows down to rubberneck. You've got the right idea bookie, just the wrong "idiot".

9:16 PM, October 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ass backwards nebraska you obviuosly enjoy us "idiots'.you keep blogger-necking and commenting, too.

Hope your book sales making you extra moolah, Riley.

9:51 PM, October 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey aksarben, you've taken this discussion off the original topic and caused it to degenerate into a 4th grade playground fight.

10:45 PM, October 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, Make the money, but don't go to the dark side to get it. It sounds like you're on the edge of night right now.

7:38 AM, October 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fish in a barrel... just too easy

1:42 PM, October 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My barrel is covered and locked bacwards nebraska.Still easy for ya?

10:54 PM, October 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently

11:38 PM, October 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ass backwards nebraska is really pat and ray posing as another blogger.Snap!

12:55 PM, October 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ass backwards Anonymous (BTW, that's what his wife calls him, too) is really Larry Craig looking for a date.

11:06 PM, October 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jealous because he dumped you already gayray?

11:08 PM, October 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky you. You don't have that problem.

10:51 PM, October 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, unlike you I am neither gay, atheist or a bigot.

7:47 PM, October 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you're not. Of course.

11:31 PM, October 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home