Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Friday, July 28, 2006

The heat makes reluctant saints of us all

I was driving home from work one recent afternoon. It was one of those hot days we've had lately - Serengeti-hot, a hot that hurts your eyes just to be out in it. Nothing I wanted more than to get to my air-conditioned home.

My car hasn't had a working air conditioner for a couple of summers now and the only illusory cool comes from breaking the speed limit to get some hot outside air blowing on you.

I passed a young woman walking along what could have been bubbling blacktop, the La Brea Tar Pits of Jersey, for all I knew. She had thin-soled shoes on her feet and a shopping bag in her hand.

I pass by people like that all the time, never giving them a second thought - unless they are carrying a gasoline can, because I've been there. The awful heat made her visible, shimmering like some mirage.

She accepted my offer of a ride and we drove about two miles to her destination.
People say that oppressive heat makes us cranky, but sometimes, I think, God works to make it otherwise.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was foolish to get in a car with a stranger. But the heat makes us foolish too. I'm a little old lady and I had another little old lady turn down the ride I offered one of those hot days.

9:33 PM, July 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the old, hey, it's too hot to walk, so get in my car young lady ruse, eh? an un-airconditioned one at that!

3:33 PM, July 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.. bottom line, hot or not, air conditioned or not, ruse or no ruse, she didn't know with whom she was accepting a ride. I live in MD. Local young man picked up middle aged man one cold winter day. Young man can't tell you this story himself for he is dead. Foolishness?

2:51 PM, July 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home