Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

And they say vaudeville is dead...

So, my son Christopher wanted to get contact lenses before he headed back to college.
The technology is a little new-fangled for me, but I'm a tolerant, progressive sort so I said OK and took him to the optometrist and sat in the waiting room.
And sat.
And sat.
And sat.
Finally, I charmed my way past the receptionist and stuck my head in the room where Christopher was attempting to try them on.
"Well, now we got ourselves a little cabaret going,'' I thought to myself as I watched the bumbling first attempts to put the contact lenses in.
After I awhile, I offered him the best advice I could think of:
"Son,'' I said, "you're going up against a million years of evolution here. Because if evolution has taught us anything, it's this: Don't go sticking stuff in your eye!''
Christopher was not amused. But he kept at it, the little myopic who could.
I'm so proud.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You witnessed a comedy of corneal contact, an irksome iridic invasion.

12:03 PM, August 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey nick, "eye" like your alliteration..

4:46 PM, August 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't the Asbury Park Press just buy Dave Barry's column instead? Barry has talent. He is also funny.

9:20 AM, September 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home