Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Thursday, August 17, 2006

The indiscreet charm of the A.G.

Sometimes I wish I had a guy.
And I'm using the term guy in a gender-neutral way.
I'm using it in a way I imagine Hamlet Goore used the term when he was sitting around the bar with his pals after a long day's work doing whatever it is he does.
"I don't worry about getting stopped by the cops,'' he'd say to them. "I got a guy.''
In his case, his guy turned out to be his girlfriend, who also happened to be the Attorney General of New Jersey.
And indeed, when he was pulled over, he made a call and his guy came running and made it all go away.
Except that it eventually cost the attorney general her job.
The whole point of having a big shot string-puller in your corner is to have things done discreetly, not with a state-owned car barreling to your aid with lights aflashing.
Some of us, nay, most of us, have to get out of traffic tickets using nothing but our charm.
Which explains why most of us don't get out of traffic tickets.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tell my girlfriend that every guy deserves a Zulima, a gal that would put her job on the line to help out her man. Don't we need more women like that?

6:32 PM, August 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, except putting a bag over her head would be even better!

10:45 AM, August 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the state attorney general obviously doesn’t have enough power if she had to actually ride to the scene instead of making a quick and easy phone call.

4:34 PM, August 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet hamlet goore gets no more breaks......yeh the good guys won for once!

10:31 PM, September 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home