Subscribe Now!
GannettUSA Today

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Does a baptist pee In the woods?

People ask me if I miss being a minister. And my answer is that I miss the preaching part of the job, but definitely do not miss deacon board meetings and that sort of thing.

So I preach when I can, when a congregation's pastor is on vacation and they need a fill-in.
This past Sunday, I preached at a one-room chapel in Spray Beach on Long Beach Island. It's a summer-only chapel and the preachers are all fill-ins. I like to preach so much that I drove 75 miles to this place on a Sunday morning. Service starts at 9:30 a.m. I got there about 9:10, picked a few hymns and turned to a guy more or less in charge.

"So, where's the men's room?'' I asked.
"Oh, we don't have one,'' he said.
"Then let's assume this is going to be a very brief worship service,'' I replied.
"I only live three blocks away from here,'' the man said. "I could drive you there and back.''
We really didn't have time for that.

"I'll get through,'' I said. "But I want to tell you that if I'm in the middle of the sermon and it suddenly looks as if I'm gyrating under the mighty power of the Holy Spirit, just chalk it up to a full bladder.''

I did manage to muddle through without a puddle, so to speak, once again showing forth that God sometimes rewards those who, as my parents always put it, ''should have gone before we left home.''

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you coulda walked east and "baptize" yourself again in the Atlantic and relieve at same time..only one who would know is you and your God!

5:21 PM, August 08, 2006  
Blogger Kevin Stilley said...

When I became a preacher, my dad who was also a preacher told me, "When you step into the pulpit you had better have a full heart and an empty bladder. God have mercy on you if you get it backwards."

Blessings, and peace.

8:37 PM, August 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the irony..Spray Beach!

12:08 PM, August 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me guess. You "preached" on something other than Jeremiah 1:5 and embryonic stem cell research, right?

""Before I formed you in the belly, I knew you. Before you came forth out of the womb, I sanctified you...

12:22 PM, August 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

puhleez, not another rite2lifer on self-righteous kick again! lighten up buddy!

5:33 PM, August 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But embryonic stem cell research deserves more of a chance than these forsaken frozen petrie dish dwellers." -- Quoting "Reverend" Michael Riley

"Frozen petrie dish dwellers?" Yeah, there is a man of God that I would want to listen to. (Sarcasm off)

10:40 AM, August 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the other anonymous said...
puhleez, not another rite2lifer on self-righteous kick again! lighten up buddy!"


Lighten up, my ass, you Nazi! When, Herr Himmler, does God give each of us a soul? Sometime after the almighty State issues us our papers (e.g., a birth certificate) or sometime before that?

1:27 PM, August 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey animous anonymous# what about "judge not yet ye be judged?"

2:26 PM, August 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him." -- Luke 17:3

"Reprimand publicly those who sin..." -- 1 Timothy 5:20

4:18 PM, August 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you are reprimanding yourself then anon. but can't even give your real name..hide behind a blog name..you are chicken @##@! can you even make an original statement with out reference Bible verse/chapters? here's one: "He who spews ignorance must be a Bible-hugging miscreant". -- 1 Moron 1:23

7:28 PM, August 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home